Friday, March 18, 2011

The Rosary Mysteries for Lent: The Transfiguration

The weather was beautiful once again today.  I think we reached 80 degrees!  I just had to go out for a bike ride again, but I ended up fighting a pretty strong wind.  At times, I felt like I wasn't going anywhere.  As I pedaled furiously, the mountains in the distance reminded me of the fourth Luminous Mystery, The Transfiguration.

I wondered if Peter, James and John were working as hard as I was on my bike when they climbed Mount Tabor with Jesus.  Jesus frequently went "up the mountain to pray" and was no doubt accustomed to arduous climbs, but I'm not so sure about Peter, James and John.  Like most Jews of that time, they walked everywhere, but I don't know if they often climbed steep peaks like Mount Tabor.  They might have wondered where they were going and why, exactly, they had to work so hard to get there.  The reward for their efforts was to see Jesus in His glory, a brief glimpse at the possibilities of the Resurrection.

Lent can sometimes feel like fighting a strong headwind or like an arduous climb up a mountain.  At times we're not sure where we're going or why we're working so hard.  If you feel discouraged, reflect on the mystery of The Transfiguration.  Remember that our ultimate goal is heaven, where we too will some day experience a transfiguration at our own resurrection.

Reminder:  Today is Day 8 of the St. Joseph Novena.  His feast day is tomorrow!

6 comments:

bob jones said...

What a great reminder; thank you for the encouragement.

Peggy Bowes said...

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice comment, Patrick. God bless!

Kathleen's Catholic said...

This is beautiful, Peggy. I'm sitting in my kitchen this morning, reading your post. The sky is bright blue. The warm wind is blowing the bare shrubs about. The sunlight is sparkling. And I'm thinking about what you wrote. A nice way to start the day! Thank you!

Peggy Bowes said...

Thanks, Kathleen! Sounds like a perfect day for a Rosary Workout! God bless.

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Joseph's Day! Your Transfiguration meditation is more good food for thought. I'd better stop being so content at my first plateau, where I stopped to rest before journeying on to the top. The view is pretty good here and if I fall it won't be a long drop. Others pass me by and assure me there is a splendid Reward at the top. So onward and upward! Thanks for the encouragement.

Peggy Bowes said...

Thanks, Anon! Many blessings for your journey.