Monday, March 14, 2011

The Rosary Mysteries for Lent: The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple

I often think about the bittersweet aspects of the 5th Joyful Mystery.  Like all parents, I can identify with Mary and Joseph's intense anxiety as they frantically search for young Jesus as well as their overwhelming joy when they finally find Him in the Temple.

To me, Lent often evokes the same conflicting emotions of anxiety and sorrow as well as joy and relief.  I worry that I'm "doing enough" for Lent and become frustrated if I don't accomplish  my planned prayers and devotions for a particular day.  I do better when I try to realize that my efforts are bringing me closer to God and not farther away.  This allows me to focus on the joy of learning more about my faith and enriching my prayer life through my Lenten practices.

I find the most joy in a practice I started two years ago of making a weekly Holy Hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament during Lent.  It calls to mind Jesus' words to Mary and Joseph in the Temple, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" (Luke 2:49) 

Note:  Today is Day 4 of the St. Joseph Novena.

2 comments:

bob jones said...

Thank you for this, Peggy. What Jesus said to Mary and Joseph in the Temple also reminds me of what he would later say to Martha and her sister Mary as to which of them had chosen "the better part" (i.e., just listening to Him) and "would not be deprived of it."

Peggy Bowes said...

Thanks, Patrick. Isn't it wonderful that the more you read and study the Bible, the more passages you can call to mind? God bless.