Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Rosary Mysteries for Lent: The Scourging at the Pillar

It wasn't until a few years ago that I began to understand how my own sins contributed to Christ's suffering and death.  When I pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary, walk the Stations of the Cross, or meditate on Jesus' passion and death, I feel a profound sorrow for my sins and a renewed zeal to try to live a sinless life.

When I meditate on The Scourging at the Pillar, I often recall the scene from The Passion of the Christ.  When I watch the film, I always weep when Jesus (as played by Jim Caviezel) sinks to the ground and then slowly gets back up so that the soldiers can continue to scourge Him.  It's almost as if He's saying, "It's not enough yet.  There are still so many sins for which I must atone."  To think that I caused part of that suffering!

I also recall how the actress who played Mary (can't recall her name...) sobbed as if her heart were pierced by a sword as she carefully mopped up the Precious Blood.  We should have that same sorrow for our own sins, even if they are relatively minor venial sins.

During Lent, you can make some progress toward leading a sinless life by going to Confession often.  Frequent Confession gives us more grace to help in avoiding sin.  If it's been awhile, find a good Examination of Conscience booklet or check online for one.  If you can't make your parish's regular Confession times, then call the parish office and make an appointment with a priest.  Remember the 5 steps to a good Confession:

1.  Think about your sins and examine your conscience
2.  Express true sorrow for your sins
3.  Resolve never to sin again
4.  Confess your sins to a priest
5.  Complete the penance that the priest gives you

No comments: