Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Rosary Mysteries for Lent: The Wedding Feast at Cana

My parents had to obtain a special dispensation to get married during Lent.  My dad had just joined the Air Force and received orders to Japan, so the wedding had to happen quickly in order for my mother to accompany him. 

We don't usually think of weddings during Lent, but Jesus actually begins His road to Calvary with this first miracle at Cana.  He says to Mary, "My hour has not yet come," letting her know that if he works this miracle then he will manifest His divinity and change both their lives forever.

I often wondered why Mary chose to push Jesus out in the world, in a manner of speaking, at this point.  One day I was praying all the decades of the Rosary in chronological order during a long bike ride when a possible answer came to me.  I had recently mediated on the 5th Joyful Mystery (The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple) and was thinking of how Mary held Jesus back in the Temple when He was on fire and ready to begin His ministry at age 12 when a Jewish boy becomes a man.  Mary took Him back home and He went obediently.  As I thought about the Wedding Feast at Cana, it occurred to me that since Jesus obeyed Mary in not beginning His public ministry, He patiently waited until she decided it was time.  I was so surprised by this revelation that I actually stopped my bike to think about it.  Of course, this is my own thought and not Church teaching or interpretation as I have not seen this idea anywhere in print.  I do know though, that the more often I pray the Rosary, the better I understand the mysteries so perhaps this understanding was the work of the Holy Spirit.

Today is Day 6 of the St. Joseph Novena.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good inspiration. Isn't she the BEST mother?

Peggy Bowes said...

She IS! Thanks for stopping by, and God bless!