Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflections on the Sorrowful Mysteries

Since today is Tuesday, I follow tradition and pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary.  I find that the Sorrowful Mysteries are the most difficult to meditate upon.  I live in a happy and secure little world where I am the picture of health, rarely get sick, am blessed with much more than I deserve and truly suffer very little.  My crosses are mere toothpicks, yet I often get caught up in my silly little woes, magnifying my minor trials and inconveniences into more than they ought to be.

When I contemplate the great suffering that Jesus endured for me and all sinners, I feel so unworthy.  How could He suffer so much, yet give me so little to bear?  Others shoulder the great burdens of disease, poverty, hardship, loss of loved ones and other heavy crosses.  I wonder if perhaps I am spared because I am weak.  I also sometimes fear that my heavier crosses lie ahead, which makes me anxious and fearful.

Instead, I really should rejoice in the blessings that have been bestowed upon me.  I must learn to shine with the light of Our Lord's presence within me, which recalls Jesus' words in Matthew 5:13-16

You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.  You are the light of the world.  A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

I must remember that we all have different vocations and unique roles to play in the Divine Plan.  Perhaps I am not called to suffer great hardship or to bear a heavy cross.  I must pray that I can become the best instrument of His will.  What better example to follow than the Blessed Mother, echoing her words, "May it be done to me according to thy word."  (Luke 1:38)  The Rosary is truly the path to salvation if we follow in the footsteps of Mary, who will ultimately lead us to her Divine Son, and in turn, to our Heavenly Father.

No comments: