Friday, June 11, 2010

Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us!

Today, we celebrate the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  Interestingly, this is a "moveable" feast day since it is dependent upon the date of Easter and is celebrated 19 days after Pentecost Sunday.  My blog is dedicated to the Two Hearts: the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (a feast we'll celebrate tomorrow-- more then.)

Since my real name is Margaret Mary (Peggy is an Irish nickname-- don't ask me how!), it is only natural that I should be devoted to the Sacred Heart as that particular devotion was given to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.  Our Lord revealed to St. Margaret Mary 12 Promises for those who are devoted to His Sacred Heart.

I took my children to daily Mass today, and we sat in front of the statue of the Sacred Heart.  At the conclusion of Mass, our parish priest prayed the Litany of the Sacred Heart, which he also prays on First Fridays.  Afterwards, my children and I prayed the Stations of the Cross together.  It seemed a fitting way to celebrate this special feast day.

To learn more about the Sacred Heart and a campaign to renew this important devotion, check out the excellent website, Heart to Heart.

No comments: