Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hearts Burning Within Us

I had to teach an indoor cycling class at my gym today as a sub for one of my friends.  Although I'd love to lead a Rosary Workout cycling class, it just wasn't the right time and place. 

Since I was unable to pray the Rosary during my workout, I played my Latin Rosary CD in the car.  As I listened to the soothing voice of Fr. Perez, I reflected again on the first Glorious Mystery, the Resurrection. 

I recalled today's Gospel reading about the familiar story of The Road to Emmaus on the eve of Easter Sunday.  Although I've read or heard it many times, I came across an interesting perspective of this event through fellow Canticle writer, Theresa Doyle-Nelson.  She writes about the icon pictured above, by modern-day artist Sister Marie-Paul Farran.  Notice that one of the disciples on the road to Emmaus is a woman!  Read about this fascinating interpretation here and the full article on Theresa's website here (scroll down about halfway).

Of course, the gender of the disciples is not the important lesson in this story.  I love how Jesus pretends that He has no clue about the world-changing impact of His own Resurrection.  Instead, He lets the two disciples tell Him what happened.  Luke adds irony in their final words, "...but Him they did not see."  Jesus, still unrecognizable, berates the pair for their foolishness and reveals to them the hidden meanings in the Scriptures they knew so well.  The two hang on every word, but do not recognize Him until the breaking of the bread at the meal they share later.  After He disappears, the disciples reflect on the impact of His words:  "Were not our hearts burning within us...?"

I pondered how my heart burns within me at times when I read or listen to a Bible reading, a Gospel or a homily and hear exactly the words from Scripture that call out to me, answering a problem or revealing a truth I had not considered.  I also thought of the times when "Him I did not see," especially in the people whom I dislike or try to avoid.  Finally, I reflected on the importance of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and how "He is made know to [us] in the breaking of the bread."

No comments: