Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Fresh Perspective

After a long weekend out of town helping to chaperone my husband's Junior ROTC cadets, I was eager to get on my road bike and burn off some of the indulgent food I'd eaten.  (Once a year I get to eat a corn dog with lots of mustard!)

As I set off for one of my favorite routes, I spontaneously decided to ride the route backwards.  The ride seemed completely new as I was now going up hills I that I usually raced down.  This gave me a fresh perspective on the scenery.  I noticed cute little farm houses that I usually whizzed right by, as well as hidden ponds and a few acres of peaceful forest. 

As I prayed the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary, I recalled a reflection on The Visitation I had recently read.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where or by whom, but the gist of the piece was that we imitate Mary in The Visitation every time we receive Communion.  Just as Mary carried Jesus, hidden inside her womb, to Elizabeth, so we carry Jesus, hidden inside us in the Eucharist, to everyone we encounter.

What a fresh perspective!  I had never considered that I am like Mary after I receive Jesus in the sacrament of Holy Communion.  Just imagine how many people would be drawn to the Catholic faith if all us acted as Mary did when she first carried the hidden Savior out to the world.  If only, like Mary, we were so overjoyed that we could declare, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior." (Luke 1:46-47)  Then perhaps those we encounter might leap for joy as the unborn John the Baptist did.

The next time you receive Holy Communion, pause a moment on your way out of the church to consider the importance of carrying the hidden Christ to everyone you meet.
___________________
On a lighter note, I have a new guest post out today on my friend Sarah Reinhard's blog.  It's a new endeavor for me-- a video post.  I had to do about 10 "takes" before I was finally satisfied with the final product.  The topic is "Healthy, Holy Lunch Boxes."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful image to have for oneself after Holy Communion... Lucky children to have such a good lunch-making mother.