Thursday, September 2, 2010

Finding Friends on The Road to Emmaus

It was a glorious morning yesterday, so I jumped on my bike to enjoy a workout in the great outdoors.  As I pedaled up and down the rolling hills in the countryside, I prayed the Glorious Mysteries.  I offered my Rosary for my friend, author Theresa Doyle-Nelson.  She was scheduled for her first interview on The Catholic Revolver With Jerry to talk about her upcoming book, More Saints of the Bible, and had asked me to pray for her.

As I meditated on the First Glorious Mystery, The Resurrection, I recalled the story of "The Road to Emmaus,"  (Luke 24:13-31) where Jesus appeared to two disciples traveling to the town of Emmaus on Easter Sunday.  I recalled that I had literally met Theresa on the Road to Emmaus when I first read her interesting article on this topic in Canticle magazine.  I contacted her about the article, and we have become good friends.  We pray for each other and encourage each other in our writing endeavors.   Theresa is the type of person who makes my heart "burn within me" (cf Luke 24:32) because she encourages me to truly live the gospels.

I have been so blessed to have encountered many others on the Road to Emmaus-- good Christian people whom I have met in person or online who challenge, encourage or inspire me on my faith journey.  I hope and pray that I too have helped others on their journey.

The next time you feel your heart "burning within you" when you're with a particular person, thank Jesus for sending you a friend on your Road to Emmaus.

No comments: