Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy Feast Day St. Joseph!

I haven't been writing much during Lent, but I couldn't let this day go by without at least a short post.

Today is the feast of one of my favorite saints, St. Joseph.  As I posted earlier, every Wednesday, I pray what a friend dubbed "9-1-1 Prayers to St. Joseph," and they have brought many blessings to my family. 

St. Joseph recently answered a fervent prayer through his intercession in a very big way, so I felt compelled to buy a new statue in his honor.  When I brought this up to my non-Catholic husband, he remarked that he's  not a huge fan of saint statues.  I asked if maybe a painting would be a better idea, and he agreed he would be in favor of that.  I've been searching high and low for a painting that would appeal to my family and have come up rather empty-handed.  I am not a fan of the "ancient old man" representation of St. Joseph so often found in art these days nor do I like the rather saccharine images of a younger St. Joseph I've found in Catholic bookstores.

I finally came across the image above of St. Joseph and a teenage (?) Jesus on Facebook and found it very compelling.  The scene somehow reminds me of my own husband and teenage son working together.  Unfortunately, I can't find out the name of the painting or the artist despite searching all over the internet.  If anyone knows, please email me at peggybowes@gmail.com  

FYI, I recently posted a column at CatholicMom.com entitled The Weighted Vest: Improve Your Fitness, Posture, Bone Health …and Spiritual Life! in case you're interested.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Hello. Do you know of a 54-day Novena? I heard something about it on Sirius's Catholic Channel but didn't catch any details. Thanks. :-)

Vett Vandiver said...

this was a very informative post, thank you!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were looking for a long time for something for above our fireplace. We just knew we wanted something colorful to be a pop of color in the room. This was the only option that we agreed on, and I was hesitant as it was a lot more inexpensive than other options we were looking at. We just got it today and I absolutely love it. Glad I bought it. 3 piece canvas painting
The items they sent to help you hang the picture are confusing and there are no instructions. Therefore, I had to spend time figuring out what type of hook it was and then how to use it. after all that, it was quite simple to hang. flower canvas paintings

Arthur Wilson said...

Global Assignment Help is an assignment help platform for the students of the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. They are well-known for delivering plagiarism-free assignments on-time. The experts of the organization are highly professional, and experts in their respective fields. They can enhance the quality of the assignments by incorporating correct and precise conceptual information. Also, proper customization and academic standards are maintained, so that students can achieve the highest academic grades. Students can unlock their potential through the expert guidance, by taking assistance from the organization, and pave their way to future success. The low-cost and 24/7 customer services makes them one of the best assignment help service providers in the world.