Friday, March 5, 2010

The Transfiguration, Part 4

According to The Transfiguration narrative of St. Luke, the three Apostles were overcome by sleep.  This ties in with Sunday's First Reading from Genesis: Abraham, like the three Apostles, falls asleep and awakens to hear an important message directly from the voice of God.

The three chosen men awaken to find Jesus conversing with Moses and Elijah about His upcoming "exodus" in Jerusalem.  Of course, we know that Jesus will suffer, die and rise from the dead, but the use of the word "exodus" again recalls the Old Testament and the search for the Promised Land. 

To aid your meditation, take some time to read the book of Exodus.  As you read, think of the parallels in the Gospels.  For example, Moses begins the journey to the Promised Land by leading the Israelites through water.  Likewise, we begin our journey to heaven (the new Promised Land) through Baptism, the sacrament that Jesus initiated in the River Jordan.

Now wide awake, Peter, at first, displays insight as to his role in this event: "It is good that we are here." However, in typical pre-Pentecost Peter fashion, he goes on to put his foot in his mouth and shows that he really just doesn't get it: "Let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." St. Luke makes his mistake obvious: "But he did not know what he was saying."

In my next post, I'll explain why, but today let us think about the words, "It is good that we are here." I often recall St. Peter's words when I am at daily Mass, Stations of the Cross, or in a situation where I can do some good deed or offer a kind word. God gives us many opportunities to become instruments of His Divine Will. Keep this in mind when any time you think, "It is good that I am here".

Rosary Workout note:  Yesterday, I prayed the Luminous Mysteries as I ran on a treadmill at the gym.  While meditating on The Transfiguration, I imagined that I was running up Mount Tabor, seeing Jesus and the three Apostles, curious to find out what was happening.  I sometimes find that if I incorporate my workout into the scene of the mystery, it helps to focus my meditation.

No comments: