Thursday, August 12, 2010

The 5th Luminous Mystery and 2 New Sacraments


We have been traveling and visiting family for the past two weeks, so it has been a bit of a challenge to meet my goal of a daily Rosary.  On some days, we pray in the car as a family, taking turns leading the decades.  Other days, I listen to the Rosary on my ipod as I squeeze in a quick workout in the hotel fitness room.  Today, I prayed the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary in the car as I ran errands, one or two decades at a time as I drove from place to place.

As I meditated on the Fifth Luminous Mystery, The Institution of the Eucharist, I recalled that two new sacraments were initiated by Christ on Holy Thursday.  The obvious sacrament is, of course, Holy Communion.  In my parish, there is a beautiful carving of the Last Supper underneath the altar, serving as a visual reminder that the Last Supper is actually the first Mass. 

The second, less obvious, sacrament is Holy Orders.  When Jesus tells His Apostles, "Do this in remembrance of me..." he has ordained them as priests, giving them the authority to say Mass and to repeat the miracle of changing bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.

Remember that priests are the representatives of Jesus on earth.  Even if you dislike or don't agree with a particular priest, always respect this role.  Don't forget to pray for your parish priest and all priests.  In fact, why not offer your next Rosary for this intention.

Related links:
Beautiful meditations on the 5th Luminous Mystery at How To Pray the Rosary Everyday
Questions about the Holy Eucharist
Sacrament of Holy Orders

No comments: